The leaves are turning and sunset arrives a bit earlier each evening the past few weeks. A new season has arrived in Crestone.
This coming weekend, October 10-11, 2015, Crestone artists open their studios to all for a celebration of art. This year, I will be one of those artists.
Crestone has recently been identified as a possible Creative District, a designation offered to unique communities in the state.**
Please join us from 1-6 on both Saturday and Sunday and meet our vibrant artist community.
Go to http://www.CrestoneArtists.com for more details.
**The state’s creative districts are capitalizing on Colorado’s creative assets to grow their local economy and to improve the quality of life for their residents. The goal of this program is to help Colorado Creative Districts achieve the administrative structure, funding streams, community engagement process, strategic plan and staff structure that provide both immediate sustainability and opportunities to evolve.
In 2011, the Colorado legislature passed and Governor Hickenlooper signed a law encouraging the formation of Creative Districts in communities, neighborhoods or contiguous geographic areas, for the purposes of:
- Attracting artists and creative entrepreneurs to a community, infusing new energy and innovation, which in turn will enhance the economic and civic capital of the community;
- Creating hubs of economic activity, thereby enhancing the area as an appealing place to live, visit and conduct business, as well as create new economic activity;
- Attracting visitors;
- Revitalizing and beautifying communities;
- Providing a focal point for celebrating and strengthening a community’s unique identity;
- Showcasing cultural and artistic organizations, events and amenities;
- Contributing to the development of healthy communities; and
- Improving the quality of life of the State’s residents.
- from the website: http://www.coloradocreativeindustries.org
Trippers and askers surround me,
People I meet…the effect upon me of my early life…of the ward and city I live in…of the nation,
The latest news…discoveries, inventions, societies…authors old and new,
My dinner, dress, associates, looks, business, compliments, dues,
The real or fancied indifference of some man or woman I love,
The sickness of one of my folks – or of myself…or ill-doing…or loss or lack of money…or depressions or exaltations,
They come to me days and nights and go from me again,
But they are not the Me myself.
If you’re in Chiang Mai, Thailand over the holidays, go study Ashtanga with Liz Derow!
A gift isn’t fully realised until it is given away, then. Those who will not acknowledge gratitude or who refuse to labor in its service neither free their gifts nor really come to possess them.
~ Lewis Hyde, The Gift
Photo credit from National Geographic
Here’s a short interview my friend Waylon at Elephant Journal did recently at the Yoga Journal Conference in Colorado with Richard Freeman about the trap of ambition in the path of yoga.
If you are in Denver anytime in the next few months, do yourself a favour and go see this extraordinary art exhibit by master glass blower Dale Chihuly.